Washington DC

View Only
  • 1.  What's the Difference Between A Friend & A Network

Posted 05-12-2021 12:36 PM
    Hello everyone. I hope wherever you are in your day that you are healthy, safe and happy.

I wanted to try out this feature of the new IAW Community Thread by posing this questions to drive engagement and provoke thoughts.  There are more than 4 Trillion responses!  One that resonated with me was... on the surface, networking and making friends look pretty similar. Like you, we are always meeting new people, finding common interests, and hoping that the relationship will continue. However, networking is more about building rapport, having substantive conversations, and finding commonalities with other professionals, in a limited amount of time

What has help me build my network at IAW has been the engagement, a little prep planning and having an objective when I attend an event. A best practice may be having your name and how others can connect with you at the ready to drop in the chat. Make sure to save the chat and connect for more substantive conversations to find the commonalities.

Have fun building your network. Please share a best practice with us.  
    What are your thoughts on this topic? 

------------------------------
    Carmen Marshall
    Chief Visionary
    Breast Cancer Survivorship
    USA
    +1 856 938 8190

• 2.  RE: What's the Difference Between A Friend & A Network
    Best Answer

Posted 05-14-2021 08:34 AM
    Hi Carmen:
    That is a very god question...
    The word friend is so widely used nowadays that I think it's real meaning has been lost. To me, a friend is someone who is very close, as close as family or more. A network contact is an acquaintance that you are starting to know and depending on how much interaction you have, they possibly could become your friends over time. Can't wait to see other responses.

Teresa Safie

• 3.  RE: What's the Difference Between A Friend & A Network

Posted 05-14-2021 12:15 PM
    Hi Teresa:
    Thank you for the engagement. I appreciate your perspective and I think you are in step with what many have shared with me. I used a Survey Monkey and sent it to 10 of most favorite luminaries, some in the friends category, some in my network.  In a one instance, a friend shared that all of her network were her friends. I called her and we discussed this and she shared how she is very guarded and stated she was not taking any applications new friends. After we laughed, I asked her about her business and how she was managing during the pandemic. I was not surprised by her response to which I invited her to join the IAW Community and learn to up-skill and advance. Welcome new member-friend, that's now part of the IAW Network!

Carmen Marshall
    Chief Visionary
    Breast Cancer Survivorship
    USA
    +1 856 938 8190